Ceramics Advanced – Experienced Potters (classroom-based)
Preston Road Adult Education Centre
See venue >>
This classroom-based course is for anyone who is an experienced potter and wishes to continue their journey of personal development in a collaborative and creative environment. Through it we aim to offer you access to the ceramics studio and extensive resources while supported by a fellow professional ceramicist who can act as both tutor and technical support. If you thrive in a studio environment but your creative practice has developed beyond the standard pottery class then this is the ideal course for you.
Experienced Potters only
How to apply
For information on how to apply, please call The Endeavour Centre on 01482 615 349
This course is for the advanced potter who wishes to still access a fully equipped studio, with a wide range of materials but does not wish to have to achieve a qualification or have any paperwork/portfolios to complete. You will be supported by a fellow professional ceramicist for technical support and advice.
This course is designed to develop design skills and improve your making skills through turning your ideas into 3D pieces of work. We aim to continue to develop your underpinning understanding of clay, techniques and materials giving you creative freedom to develop in the creative direction that fills your own needs.
Our purpose-built studio has 6 training wheels and two large kilns, it is also set up for all types of hand building and we can cover coiling, slab building, formers, throwing, and combining methods. We also make our own glazes leaving us with lots of options for surface decoration and room to develop glazes and combinations to suit your needs.
Some of the things we can cover on this course are:
- Coiling, slab building, throwing on the wheel, sculpting and modelling clay
- Applying slip decoration and underglaze stains to decorate your work
- Applying glazes to your work to create attractive surfaces
- Finishing your final pieces to create an outcome of your own design
- Your work will be yours to keep and the finished pieces will be fired to the temperature ranges that meet your needs throughout your course
- We have the capacity and skills to make and develop glazes to meet your specific needs and design out comes if this interests you, otherwise there are a wide range of engobes, stains, oxides and glazes firing across all ranges ready prepared for you
You will be supported in the studio by a Ceramics Specialist with a BA (Hons) in the field who is a working Potter/Fine Art Ceramicist and Tutor.
This course is classed as full cost/ learning for leisure which means that no paperwork or qualifications are involved. It is designed for those potters and ceramicists who want to keep making and learning new skills in a collaborative classroom environment supported by a qualified specialist tutor. If you would like to achieve a qualification in ceramics we currently offer Gateway qualifications. Please ask for further information.
Where can it lead?
- You could progress on to gaining further or higher qualifications
- Use your developed creative skills in a self-employed way by making pieces to sell at craft fairs
- Become employed in the community or volunteer to demonstrate skills to enhance people’s well-being
As a Hull Training and Adult Education learner you have access to our Careers Advice Service. Our advisers are on hand to guide you through options and support you to achieve your full potential. Ask your tutor to refer you, if required.