Overview of the course
This course is designed to introduce ideas, develop an understanding of working with clay and the techniques one needs to create strong and durable pieces of work in the classroom. The purpose built studio has 4 training wheels and two large kilns, it is also set up for all types of hand building, and we can cover coiling, slab building, formers, throwing, and combining methods. We also make our own glazes leaving us with lots of options for surface decoration.
Some of the things we can cover on this course are:
- Impressing patterns and messages into clay to make tiles that you can then use as coasters, small hanging decorations, door signs and personalised gifts.
- Coiling, slab building, throwing on the wheel, sculpting and modelling clay
- Applying slip decoration and underglaze stains to decorate your work.
- Applying glazes to your work to create attractive surfaces.
- Finishing your final pieces to create an outcome of your own design
- Your work will be yours to keep and the finished pieces can be collected two weeks after the course ends.
Who is this course for?
This is part of our suite of ‘Adult Skills’ courses which are designed to promote employability skills and qualifications. This course is for anyone wanting to gain a qualification, skills, knowledge and increased confidence.
What can I do after the course?
You can progress onto an accredited courses which are an asset to add to ones CV, giving you an interesting talking point, showing diverse interests and skills at interview. For those who do not wish to work towards a qualification we have a range of Learning for Leisure courses that you can progress onto.