Engineering Technician (CNC Machining) Apprenticeship (Level 3)
The Engineering Centre
See venue >>
Why this apprenticeship?
Computer Numerical Control (CNC) Machining is a manufacturing process in which pre-programmed computer software dictates the movement of factory tools and machinery. The process can be used to control a range of complex machinery, from grinders and lathes to mills and routers.
This apprenticeship will give you the essential knowledge and practical skills required to program, set, and operate CNC machinery typically in use within manufacturing industry.
You must be aged 16 or over and should have:
• GCSE Maths and English at grade 4 and above, or Functional Skills Maths and English Level 2
• The ability to follow instructions and diagrams
• The ability to work accurately and a good eye for detail
• Good communication and problem solving abilities
• The ability to work on your own initiative, but also be a good team worker
• Good IT skills and enjoy working on computers
Our experienced tutors are here to support you all the way and by the end of your apprenticeship you will be able to:
• Understand the risks to health and safety associated with the use of CNC equipment
• Understand the types and application of CNC equipment typically in use within manufacturing industry
• Understand the importance of the data preparation and relevant calculations typically required for the manufacture of components by the use of CNC equipment
• Understand how to produce coded part programs of structure and format appropriate to CNC equipment in use
• Understand how to input data into CNC controllers and prepare CNC and ancillary equipment for manufacture
• Understand how to prove-out CNC programs and produce a first-off component and the requirements of first-off component inspection
What qualification will I achieve?
Engineering Technician Standard Level 2 and 3
What can I do after this apprenticeship?
Here you will find some potential career pathways once you have completed your apprenticeship with us.
- Skilled CNC Machinist/Programmer
- Design Engineer