English GCSE (classroom-based)
The Avenues Adult Education Centre
See venue >>
You will be enabled to become an accomplished writer and reader in this benchmark qualification, along with enhancing your knowledge of all areas of English. This course is aimed at learners who have achieved Level 2 and wish to progress their English skills.
The English Language GCSE is a key requirement for many job roles and passing this qualification demonstrates an understanding of the makeup of texts and sources as well as equipping you with writing and reading skills.
Enrolment on the 30-week course gives you access to Hull Training and Adult Education’s computer suite that allows you to complete your learning either in the classroom or online using Microsoft Educational Teams depending which course you choose. You will be enrolled onto a virtual class where you will be able to communicate and interact with other like-minded learners receiving guidance on how to keep yourself safe online.
You will learn through:
- Group, paired or individual tasks
- Paper-based activities
- Demonstrations and practical activities
- Independent study
- Practice tests
Learners are required to be 19+ years old on or before the 31 August of the forthcoming academic year in order to be eligible; an initial assessment will inform us of what you need to work towards however learners should be working at Level 2 consistently.
For an online course you will need to have access to the internet and use of a laptop or computer.
How to apply
For information on how to apply, please call 01482 615 349 / 616 580 or email: email@example.com
It is an exciting course where you will:
- Read different texts and select language choices and structures
- Make judgements on statements relating to texts
- Compare and contrast questions and analyse writers’ perspectives
- Learn to complete your own pieces of creative, descriptive and narrative writing
- Write with a viewpoint demonstrating a balanced argument and techniques of persuasion
- Create and deliver a presentation to the group
- Take part in group speaking and listening activities
At the end of the 30-week GCSE qualification you will be required to attend the centre to complete two paper based exams in May or June 2022. (Dates to be set) You will also complete an internally assessed speaking and listening assessment during the course.
Where it can lead?
This course leads to an accredited GCSE qualification Grade 1-9.
You could gain the ability to:
- Apply for a job that requires an English GCSE pass grade
- Access higher level courses (some Universities accept GCSE qualification)
- Enrol on to an Access to Higher Education course
- Go to university with an additional, full Level 3 supporting qualification
- Help your children with their revision
- Improve your confidence in English
As a Hull Training and Adult Education learner you have access to our Careers Advice Service. Our advisers are on hand to guide you through options and support you to achieve your full potential. Ask your tutor to refer you, if required.