Functional Skills English L1 & L2
Endeavour Learning and Skills Centre
See venue >>
Functional Skills English equips you with vital real-world skills. Ever had trouble
filling out forms, understanding technical letters or presenting your ideas to others?
This course is for you if you want to develop or update your English skills in your
own space and at your own pace, by completing a personalised online English
course at a level to suit you.
‘87% of employers value Functional Skills for their approach to applied skills,
flexible assessment and problem solving. (Education and Training Foundation).’
Develop the key aspects of English such as developing your spelling, grammar,
punctuation as well as learning how to create effective presentations adapting
work to suit an audience, purpose or situation. You will also learn how to gather
information, compare texts, and learn to communicate your ideas and opinions in a
persuasive way. It’s an ideal companion course for anyone looking for a GCSE
Enrolment on the course gives you access to Hull Training and Adult Education’s
Suite that allows you to complete your learning online using Gmail, Meet,
Classroom and Google Docs. In addition you will be enrolled on a virtual class
where you will be able to communicate and interact with your peers.
You will learn at your own pace through:
– group, paired or individual tasks;
– paper-based activities;
– demonstrations and practical activities ;
– independent study; and
– practice tests.
You will complete a Functional Skills English qualification at Level 1 or Level 2.
Achieving a Level 2 Functional Skills qualification will allow you to meet the
English requirements of many jobs in the labour market.
You will be able to progress onto further/higher education.
A Level 1 qualification is equivalent to GCSE grade D-G level. A Level 2
qualification is equivalent to GCSE grade A*-C level.
There are no entry requirements; an initial assessment will inform us of what you
need to work towards.
How to apply
When studying Functional Skills English you’ll learn to:
- summarise information from different sources;
- identify the purpose and meaning of texts;
- detect bias and consider responses in texts;
- write a range of texts in different formats;
- use appropriate spelling, grammar and punctuation in your writing;
- take part in formal and informal discussions;
- prepare and deliver a presentation on your chosen subject (Level 2); and
- access online links and resources to support English functional skills.
Speaking and Listening
Where can it lead?
This course leads to an accredited qualification in English Functional skills. This
course is an externally assessed exam. You can continue up to Level 2 Functional
Skills English. There is also the opportunity to study for a GCSE.
- You’ll be able to apply for a job that requires a GCSE maths and English pass grades
- You can access higher education courses
- Enrol on an access course
- Enrol on an apprenticeship
- Go to University
- You’ll be able to help your children with their revision
- You’ll improve your skills and confidence in English, Maths and IT