English Functional Skills (online)
See venue >>
English Functional Skills equips you with vital real-world skills. Ever had trouble
filling out forms, understanding technical letters or presenting your ideas to others?
This course is for you if you want to develop or update your English skills in your
own space and at your own pace, by completing a personalised online English
course at a level to suit you.
‘87% of employers value Functional Skills for their approach to applied skills,
flexible assessment and problem solving. (Education and Training Foundation).’
Develop the key aspects of English such as developing your spelling, grammar,
punctuation as well as learning how to create effective presentations adapting
work to suit an audience, purpose or situation. You will also learn how to gather
information, compare texts, and learn to communicate your ideas and opinions in a
persuasive way. It’s an ideal companion course for anyone looking for a GCSE
Enrolment on the course gives you access to Hull Training and Adult Education’s
computer suite that allows you to complete your learning online using Gmail, Meet,
Classroom and Google Docs. In addition you will be enrolled on a virtual class
where you will be able to communicate and interact with other like-minded learners.
You will learn at your own pace through:
- group, paired or individual tasks
- paper-based activities
- demonstrations and practical activities
- independent study
- practice tests
You will complete an English Functional Skills qualification at Level 1 or Level 2.
Achieving a Functional Skills Level 2 qualification will allow you to meet the
English requirements of many jobs in the labour market.
You will be able to progress on to further/higher education.
A Level 1 qualification is equivalent to GCSE grade D-G level or 3-1 level. A Level 2
qualification is equivalent to GCSE grade A*-C or 9-4 level.
Learners are required to be 19+ years old on or before the 31 August of the forthcoming academic year in order to be eligible; an initial assessment will inform us of what you need to work towards.
How to apply
For information on how to apply, please call The Endeavour Centre on 01482 615 349
When studying Functional Skills English you’ll learn to:
- summarise information from different sources
- identify the purpose and meaning of texts
- detect bias and consider responses in texts
- write a range of texts in different formats
- use appropriate spelling, grammar and punctuation in your writing
- take part in formal and informal discussions
- prepare and deliver a presentation on your chosen subject (Level 2)
- access online links and resources to support English functional skills
This is an accredited course and evidence of achievement is by examination in Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening.
You will take an English Functional Skills examination at Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2.
Where can it lead?
This course leads to an accredited qualification in English Functional Skills by way of an externally-assessed exam. You can continue up to Level 2 Functional
Skills English. There is also the opportunity to study for a GCSE.
You could gain the ability to:
- apply for a job that requires a English GCSE pass grade
- access higher level courses
- enrol on to an Access to Higher Education course
- enrol on an Apprenticeship
- go to university with a full Level 3 supporting qualification
- help your children with their revision
- improve your confidence in English, maths and IT Functional Skills
As a Hull Training and Adult Education learner you have access to our Careers Advice Service. Our advisers are on hand to guide you through options and support you to achieve your full potential. Ask your tutor to refer you, if required.