Functional Skills Maths L1 & L2
Endeavour Learning and Skills Centre
See venue >>
Functional Skills Maths equips you with vital real-world skills. This course is for you if you want to develop or update your maths skills in your own space and at your own pace, by completing a personalised online maths course at a level to suit you.
‘87% of employers value Functional Skills for their approach to applied skills, flexible assessment and problem solving. (Education and Training Foundation).’
There is currently an opportunity to increase your skills so that you can learn independently at a time that suits you to improve those skills that you have always wanted to learn. Functional Skills courses are accessible in that the skills you are learning focus on useable and every day functions – forget algorithms, algebra and Pythagoras!
Maths is used in so many areas of home and work life – make sure you have the essential skills you need to thrive in your roles in life. Get the qualification you need to get a better, new or different job – or even just to be better at the job you already have!
Enrolment on the course gives you access to Hull Training and Adult Education’s Suite that allows you to complete your learning online using Gmail, Meet, Classroom and Google Docs. In addition you will be enrolled on a virtual class where you will be able to communicate and interact with your peers.
You will learn at your own pace through:
– personal directed independent learning using interactive online learning tools;
– use of video and audio presentations for teaching;
– a large variety of learning resources to suit everyone’s style of learning;
– discussion forums for your class to interact;
– weekly tutor input to your class to answer any questions; and
– Tutor support given 1:1 over video, email or phone.
You will complete a Functional Skills Maths qualification at Level 1 or Level 2. Achieving a Level 2 Functional Skills qualification will allow you to meet the maths requirements of many jobs in the labour market.
A Level 1 qualification is equivalent to GCSE grade D-G level. A Level 2 qualification is equivalent to GCSE grade A*-C level.
There are no entry requirements; an initial assessment will inform us of what you need to work towards.
How to apply
You will develop range of strategies that suit the way you learn to solve mathematical problems. For instance:
- Skills for maths in the home
- How to work out square metres in your kitchen for flooring?
- Converting measurements across the two systems of measure that the UK uses – confusing!
- Can you work out how much you will save in a sale with 1/5 off the price?
- Skills for maths at work
- Using accurate measurement for practical industries
- Calculations and decimals for working with money, budgets and finance
- Knowing and using 2D and 3D shapes in creative industries
We will use our assessments to target learning at skills you need to personalise the course to you and support you in the areas where you find maths the hardest. We are here to help you overcome these challenges and gain confidence in yourself.
This is an accredited course and evidence of achievement is by examination.
Where can it lead?
This course leads to a qualification at Level 2 in Functional Skills Maths accredited by Edexcel.
It enables you to demonstrate your maths skills to employers and access other courses. The qualification can be a gateway to enable you to study further and work towards employment in roles such as;
- Health and social care
- Working with children, such as schools and childcare
- Retail and administration
- Apprenticeships for young people and adults
- Engineering and manufacturing roles in local industry
- GCSE maths