Keeping up with the Children – Functional Skills English
This 23-week course is aimed specifically at parents and carers who want to:
- Improve their own English skills
- Develop an understanding of the current school curriculum for English
- Be able to support their children with home learning and revision
- Gain an English qualification at either Entry, Level 1, or Level 2
- Move on to further courses, gain employment or support a career move
There are no entry requirements for this course other than being a parent or carer for a child.
An initial assessment session will be carried out at the start of the course to ensure you are studying at the correct level.
How to apply
For information on how to apply, please call 01482 615 349 / 616 580 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Family Learning English courses follow the Functional Skills curriculum from Edexcel, with a view to enabling you to support your children better when working at home, while gaining a qualification that can help you progress on to further study, employment or simply for your own enjoyment.
Our tutors will ensure that during the course you understand how English is taught in the modern classroom so that you can understand the work that is set for your children and discuss this with them with confidence.
You will develop strategies to support your child’s learning at school and at home. You will improve your knowledge of how your children learn as well as how their play, language and literacy develop. This will help you to identify your child’s individual needs and support their learning.
When studying Functional Skills English, you will learn to:
- Summarise information from different sources
- Identify the purpose and meaning of texts
- Detect bias and consider responses in texts
- Write a range of texts in different formats
- Use appropriate spelling, grammar and punctuation in your writing
- Take part in formal and informal discussions
- Prepare and deliver a presentation on your chosen subject (Level 2 learners)
- Access online links and resources to support English Functional Skills
- Recognise how to keep safe online
This is an accredited course and evidence of achievement is by examination in Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening.
At the end of the course, you will be required to complete the paper-based exam at the appropriate level.
Where can it lead?
This course has links to childcare, education, literacy and English careers or courses.
This course leads to an accredited qualification in English Functional Skills and is an externally assessed exam. You can continue up to Level 2 Functional Skills English. There is also the opportunity to study for a GCSE at one of our main centres.
Developing your English skills and gaining a qualification will help you to support your child’s learning. It also enables you to demonstrate your English skills to employers and access other courses.
As a Hull Training and Adult Education learner you have access to our Careers Advice Service. Our advisers are on hand to guide you through options and support you to achieve your full potential. Ask your tutor to refer you, if required.