Here We Sew Again (classroom-based)
Endeavour Learning and Skills Centre
See venue >>
This accredited unit aims to develop the knowledge, understanding and practical skills required to plan and implement the construction of a sewn textile item of personal choice.
Learners who have previously enrolled on any sewing courses with Hull Training and Adult Education will not be eligible.
This course is suitable for new learners with prior knowledge and practical experience of the subject who wish to further develop their skills and understanding and gain a qualification. Learners who have previously enrolled on any sewing courses with Hull Training and Adult Education will not be eligible.
You must be able to use the sewing machine competently to create sewn pieces, have an awareness of commercial patterns and some knowledge of sewing techniques and processes.
How to apply
For information on how to apply, please call The Endeavour Centre on 01482 615 349
This is a classroom based, workshop-style, course where you will work on a self-chosen sewing project making a textile piece suitable for your level of skill and ability.
Your project is your choice, you may wish to construct a simple sewn item or a more demanding textile piece.
The tutor, Sally, will discuss your ideas with you at induction.
- experiment with techniques and processes to develop your creative sewing skills
- plan a weekly schedule of work to support you in your step by step method
- construct your textile piece
- cut out and construct a textile piece
- reflect upon your work and evaluate the outcome
During the course you will observe tutor demonstrations and explanations of techniques and processes integral to construction of a sewn item.
Some of the areas covered will include:
- safety in the sewing room
- using the controls and functions on a sewing machine
- how to use a commercial pattern
- understanding and using seam allowance, grainlines, pattern markings and neatening methods
- construction techniques
- Some written work is required. You will complete a short booklet documenting your understanding of safety in the classroom, basic sewing requirements and sewing methods, techniques and processes.
You must provide your own fabric, patterns, threads and notions.
There are some sewing machines and equipment available for you use in our centre.
If you wish to bring your own sewing machinery it must hold a current PAT test certificate that the tutor will need to see on the first day of the course.
Entry Level 3
Learning outcomes must be met to gain the qualification.
Assessment of learning is measured through product inspection, observation, discussion, feedback and written work.
Where can it lead?
After this course you may wish to advance to a higher level accredited course such as Level 1 Fashion/Textile course. Further progression may be a Level 2 and 3 course, and on to a degree course in Fashion/Textiles
We also offer a range of courses in the practical arts which can assist you in discovering something for yourself that can develop your own skills and interests.
As a Hull Training and Adult Education learner you have access to our Careers Advice Service. Our advisers are on hand to guide you through options and support you to achieve your full potential. Ask your tutor to refer you, if required.