English Functional Skills Levels 1 and 2 Fast Track
The Avenues Adult Education Centre
See venue >>
English Functional Skills equips you with vital real-world skills. Ever had trouble filling out forms, understanding technical letters or presenting your ideas to others?
“87% of employers value Functional Skills for their approach to applied skills, flexible assessment and problem solving”.
This fast track course is for you if you want to gain an English qualification in a short time frame. This course will be delivered over 10 weeks, 5 hours per week: 3 hours in the classroom and 2 hours independent learning.
Enrolment on the 10-week course gives you access to Hull Training and Adult Education’s computer suite that allows you to complete extra tasks to support your learning online using Microsoft Educational Teams.
You will develop the key aspects of English such as developing your spelling, grammar, punctuation as well as learning how to create effective presentations adapting work to suit an audience, purpose or situation. You will also learn how to gather information, compare texts, and learn to communicate your ideas and opinions in a persuasive way.
It’s an ideal companion course for anyone looking for a GCSE equivalent qualification.
You will learn at your own pace through:
- Group, paired or individual tasks
- Paper-based activities
- Demonstrations and practical activities
- Independent study
- Practice tests
Learners are required to be 19+ years old on or before the 31 August of the forthcoming academic year in order to be eligible; an initial assessment will inform us of what you need to work towards.
You need to have access to the internet and use of a laptop or computer at home.
How to apply
For information on how to apply, please call 01482 615 349 / 616 580 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
When studying English Functional Skills, you will learn to:
- Summarise information from different sources
- Identify the purpose and meaning of texts
- Detect bias and consider responses in texts
- Write a range of texts in different formats
- Use appropriate spelling, grammar and punctuation in your writing
- Take part in formal and informal discussions
- Prepare and deliver a presentation on your chosen subject (Level 2)
- Access online links and resources to support English Functional Skills
This is an accredited course and evidence of achievement is by examination in Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening.
At the end of the 10-week course you will be required to complete the paper-based exam at the Level you are working towards.
Where can it lead?
This course leads to an accredited qualification in English Functional Skills by way of an externally assessed exam. You can continue up to Level 2 Functional Skills English. There is also the opportunity to study for a GCSE.
You could gain the ability to:
- Apply for a job that requires an English GCSE pass grade (if Level 2 is achieved)
- Access higher level courses
- Enrol on to an Access to Higher Education course
- Enrol on to an Apprenticeship
- Go to university with an additional, full Level 3 supporting qualification
- Help your children with their revision
- Improve your confidence in English
As a Hull Training and Adult Education learner you have access to our Careers Advice Service. Our advisers are on hand to guide you through options and support you to achieve your full potential. Ask your tutor to refer you, if required.