English Functional Skills (classroom-based) – Available at Entry Level 1, 2 and 3 and Level 1 and 2
Most of our courses are delivered as a 2 hour 30 minute session once a week. The classes are organised so that people are all working at a similar level and are all taught by an experienced and qualified tutor.
Your tutor will work with you to identify any skills gaps and these will be the focus of your learning. For English, these are divided into reading, writing and speaking and listening skills. Typical areas that learners work on are in spelling, punctuation, understanding texts and joining in discussions.
What happens in the classroom is only a small part of your learning. We will encourage you to develop independent learning skills with homework and online resources for you to use. Studying outside of the sessions is part of your commitment to your learning along with regular and punctual attendance at your class.
While you are on your course, you will have other learning opportunities to take advantage of. These could include things like community or enterprise projects, visits to cultural sites or workplaces and outside speakers like employers. You will also be able to access any support you need to further your work or study goals. This includes expert careers advice and any specialist learning support you need to help you progress and achieve.
Learners are required to be 19+ years old on or before the 31 August of the forthcoming academic year in order to be eligible.
An Initial Assessment session will be carried out before commencement of course to ensure you are studying at the correct level.
How to apply
For information on how to apply, please call 01482 615 349 / 616 580 or email: email@example.com
When studying Functional Skills English, you willl learn to:
- Summarise information from different sources
- Identify the purpose and meaning of texts
- Detect bias and consider responses in texts
- Write a range of texts in different formats
- Use appropriate spelling, grammar and punctuation in your writing
- Take part in formal and informal discussions
- Prepare and deliver a presentation on your chosen subject (Level 2)
- Access online links and resources to support English functional skills
- Recognise how to keep safe online
This is an accredited course and evidence of achievement is by examination in Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening.
At the end of the 20 week course you will be required to attend the centre to complete the paper based exam at the Level you are working towards
You will take an English Functional Skills examination at the appropriate level.
Where it can lead?
This course leads to an accredited qualification in English Functional Skills by way of an externally assessed exam. You can continue up to Level 2 Functional
Skills English. There is also the opportunity to study for a GCSE.
You could gain the ability to:
- Apply for a job that requires a English GCSE pass grade (if a full Level 2 is achieved)
- Access higher level courses
- Enrol on to an Access to Higher Education course
- Enrol on to an Apprenticeship
- Go to university with an additional, full Level 3 supporting qualification
- Help your children with their revision
- Improve your confidence in English
As a Hull Training and Adult Education learner you have access to our Careers Advice Service. Our advisers are on hand to guide you through options and support you to achieve your full potential. Ask your tutor to refer you, if required.