Maths Functional Skills, Levels 1 and 2 Fast Track (classroom-based)
The Avenues Adult Education Centre
See venue >>
Maths Functional Skills equips you with vital real-world skills. Ever had trouble understanding your bills, converting currency when on holiday or checking discounts on your shopping and calculating the best deal?
“87% of employers value Functional Skills for their approach to applied skills, flexible assessment and problem solving”.
This fast-track course is for you if you want to gain a Maths qualification in a short time frame. This course will be delivered over 10 weeks, 5 hours per week: 3 hours in the classroom and 2 hours independent learning.
Enrolment on the 10-week course gives you access to Hull Training and Adult Education’s computer suite that allows you to complete extra tasks to support your learning online using Microsoft Educational Teams and Google classroom.
You will develop the key aspects of Maths such as developing your skills and confidence making calculations, calculating with fractions, decimals, and percentages, understanding measurements and using graphs and charts.
It’s an ideal companion course for anyone looking for a GCSE equivalent qualification.
You will learn through:
- Group, paired or individual tasks
- Paper-based activities
- Demonstrations and practical activities
- Independent study
- Practice tests
Learners are required to be 19+ years old on or before the 31 August of the forthcoming academic year in order to be eligible; an initial assessment will inform us of what you need to work towards.
How to apply
For information on how to apply, please call The Avenues Adult Education Centre on 01482 615 349 or email: LearnerAdvice@hullcc.gov.uk
When studying Maths Functional Skills, you’ll learn to:
- Use numbers and the number system, including fractions, decimals, and percentages
- Use common measures, shape, and space
- Handle information and data
- Solve mathematical problems and make decisions
- Access online links and resources to support Maths Functional Skills
- Recognise how to keep safe online
This is an accredited course and evidence of achievement is by examination. You will complete both a calculator and a non-calculator paper, which will be completed during the same exam session.
At the end of the 10-week course you will be required to attend the centre to complete the paper-based exam at the Level you are working towards.
Where can it lead?
This course leads to an accredited qualification in Maths Functional Skills by way of an externally assessed exam. You can continue up to Level 2 Functional Skills Maths. There is also the opportunity to study for a GCSE.
You could gain the ability to:
- Apply for a job that requires a Maths GCSE pass grade (if Level 2 is achieved)
- Access higher level courses
- Enrol on to an Access to Higher Education course
- Enrol on to an Apprenticeship
- Go to university with an additional, full Level 3 supporting qualification
- Help your children with their revision
- Improve your confidence in maths
As a Hull Training and Adult Education learner you have access to our Careers Advice Service. Our advisers are on hand to guide you through options and support you to achieve your full potential. Ask your tutor to refer you, if required.