Financial Support for Learners

Hull Training and Adult Education is committed to doing everything it can for learners, so that they can attend courses and programmes free from financial worries.

Learners aged 16-19 years

Additional funding is available to support learners who have difficulty in attending because of financial considerations. There are two types of bursary funds for learners to access, the 16-18 Guaranteed Bursary and 16-18 Discretionary Bursary. These may be able to help you meet the costs related to coming to your course, for example the cost of meals, transport, books and equipment, field trips and other course-related costs. It can also be used towards the costs of attending interviews and open days.

16-18 Guaranteed Bursary

A bursary of £1,200 a year is available to support you if you are:
• A young person who is looked after (in care);
• A care leaver;
• A young person in receipt of income support (or Universal Credit) in your own name;
• A disabled young person in receipt of both Employment Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance (or Personal Independence Payments).

Discretionary Bursary

The Service has some money to support you if you have financial problems. It can help you with the costs of transport, meals, books or equipment.

We will assess your need for financial support before deciding whether to make an award. We will need to know your household income to help us decide how much you could get.

Ask your tutor about the bursary and for the right form to see if you can get some financial help.

Learners aged 19 and over

You may be able to get help with the cost of courses through the Discretionary Learner Support Fund. This can help you with the cost of books, equipment, travel, visits, exams, fees and childcare. The fund is there to help you if you have financial difficulties and is to support you to successfully achieve your accreditation.

It is for learners with a low household income, so please be aware that details of your income or benefits are asked for on the form and we need evidence of this.

Discretionary Learner Support (DLS) forms are available from our centre receptions, or from your tutor.